Thursday, April 30, 2009

Earth is not G Rated

I have not seen this movie, but just read Russell Moore's excellent comments upon it. You can read it here.
My favorite line:

Being reminded of the wildness of the wild kingdom can be a helpful reminder to followers of Jesus. This universe is not the way its intended to be. It is bloody, violent, and often chaotic. We do not, as the writer of Hebrews tells us, yet see all things under the feet of humanity. But, "we see him who was for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death" (Heb. 2:9).



Being a keeper of livestock and plants is a continual reminder of the cruelty and harshness of the natural World. If it is bad, sad, or horrfying, I have seen it without ever leaving the farm. The most recent example: This winter, I lost my old chief Rouen Drake (Captain Jack) to old age (The exception in nature). Subsequently, two of his sons fought for control of the flock until one was so bloody and picked over I had to destroy him last week. This among ducks, which are among the gentlest and most helpless of creatures.

No comments: